Wednesday, July 11, 2007

angry and laughing, all in two minutes...

First, the thing that made me angry....

Now those of you that know me well know how agitated I get when I see people flinging apostrophes everywhere they don't belong...usually in plurals instead of possessives.

But what I saw on a news teaser just made me downright ticked. Don't they proofread these things? The preview for the eleven o'clock news said, "Who wear's the pants?"

WHAT????!!! That's not even a plural! That's a frickin' verb! Sheesh. (Josh just rolled his eyes.)

And now, the thing that made me laugh...

I saw a clip of a Robin Williams movie...it looked dumb, and we were just flipping channels. Nonetheless, he told a joke that really cracked me up, especially because it took both of us a few seconds.

"A Buddhist walked up to a hot dog stand and said 'Make me one with everything.'"

See how long it takes you...I'm just curious. :)

One final bit of random news....I found a japanese beetle crawling on the top of my head yesterday. And it was missing a leg. Yuck.

6 comments:

Ulie said...

Three minutes... and I was about to give up!! LOL- that IS a great joke, and clean, too! :)
And I'm right with you about the "wear's"... thats ju'st plain 'silly! Who doe's that?
After a cookout out back wearing Lily on my front a few days ago, I leaned over the bed to set her down and a Japanese beetle fell out of my hair (it was actually missing a leg, too). Reading your post suddenly made me feel like you were right here in the room with me! :) I miss you!!

Ulie said...

p.s. Can your cell phone accept picture messages? If so, I'll start snapping pics of the great "'s"s that I see since I know how much you (and Josh? ;) ) appreciate the "humor" in them. :)

erin said...

sure! we do get charged 25 cents a pic to send or receive them though, so I'll just take your favorites if you wander into a whole nest of misplaced apostrophes. :)

Ulie said...

Ah! I'll send them via email when I get some good ones, then. And I think we might actually get charged to send them, anyways... that didn't occur to me until just now...

Suzanne said...

It's SO funny that you posted about those two things. Apostrophe misuse really makes me sad. I can't stand it, and now that I'm a proofreader, I seem to see it everywhere! As for the joke...I heard that my freshman year at W&M and told it over and over and over and over until my roommate just made fun of me all the time. :)

erin said...

thanks suzanne! i'm always glad to find fellow grammarians with my same sense of humor. :)

 
design by suckmylolly.com