Sunday, February 26, 2006

"outside the box, dang it!"

well, i'm posting a quote from my head.

for those of you who have known me for a while, this won't surprise you, but I definitely think too hard sometimes. and when is this not necessary? that's right - mad libs.

let me tell you...if you're having to tell yourself to think outside of the box, it's too late. you're already wrapped, packing-peanutted, and packaging taped firmly inside. coaxing your brain to let itself go makes it seize up even harder.

so jonathan and lynsey have been driving around the country for a few weeks now, and they've been whiling away the driving hours with mad libs. but not any mad libs - no, these are long stories that jonathan writes himself, and lynsey fills in the blank. so since they've been here for the weekend, late-nights in our kitchen are mad libs times. ha! and when it's my turn to fill in the blank with a part of speech, this is what you would hear in my head....

"Ok, a noun. Hmm....a noun. Something not in this room - too unoriginal. Something clever, not like 'a spoon' or 'a car'. Like....'a muskrat'! Umm...or 'a toaster'! Nope, that's in the room. Dang it! Something witty. Think, think, think."

What's ironic is that, with mad libs, it matters precious little what you end up saying. Even if I did say 'a car' or 'a spoon,' the story would still be just as comical. Yay for good friends who love you, even if your brain is wrapped in its own special packaging tape.

6 comments:

godgivensmile said...

"Yay for good friends who love you, even if your brain is wrapped in its own special packaging tape"

*ROTFL*

Word! Ditto! Exactly! Precisely! Correct! You ain't Lyin'!

John said...

What if I like my box?

One person said,

"Thinking outside the box requires different attributes that include:

Willingness to take new perspectives to day-to-day work.
Openness to do different things and to do things differently.
Focusing on the value of finding new ideas and acting on them.
Striving to create value in new ways.
Listening to others.
Supporting and respecting others when they come up with new ideas.

Out-of-the box thinking requires an openness to new ways of seeing the world and a willingness to explore. Out-of-the box thinkers know that new ideas need nurturing and support. They also know that having an idea is good but acting on it is more important. Results are what count."

But I want to do my day to day work with my own weird perspective! It makes things more fun and it makes me think I'm right a lot more often.

I don't want to be open to do different things and to do things differently. Why mess with perfection?

Furthermore, there is no value in new ideas and acting on them, and it uses up a lot of energy to strive to create new ways. I don't have the energy for it.

Moreover, the task of listening to others is over-rated. This presumes that other people have something to teach you. Ha!

Finally, supporting and respecting others when they come up with new ideas is disingenuous. New ideas are dumb, and you don't want other people to get a false idea of cleverness.

Am I serious or joking? Only an elect few will know.

godgivensmile said...

To John:

"I have been chosen. Farewell, my friends. I go off to a better place."

I think we could have been great friends, if I were to have been doing the seminary thing with you and Josh. Us three nutz seemed to have come from the same squirrel. And that squirrel is kwazy! I say, Looney even! ;)

erin said...

ha ha ha! I just love bringing people together!

John said...

Smiley,

I will be your Lloyd Christmas if you will be my Harry Dunne!

"Hey, wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?" - http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/mp3s.cgi?Dumb_And_Dumber=annoying.mp3

I love meeting new people.

godgivensmile said...

I have never seen any of the Dumb and Dumber movies. Jim Carey, Robin Williams, and Mike Myers are all rotfl-hilarious; however, I don't like and don't want to get into their riots of sexual humor. Why can't we have stupidity and hypothetical hilarity without the sexual ineuendos (sp?) etc.?

"Alrighty then!"

"You know, I have one simple request, and that is to have [comedians with non-sexual comedy]."

"Wow, that was a nice image. *click click click* Deleted!"

 
design by suckmylolly.com