Wednesday, April 19, 2006

"I think chocolate is very acceptable."

...whispered Grandma Bee, who is 97 and a half. (She points out the half.) Now she's not a direct relative of mine, but she's sort of the 'grandma' of most of our new church. She was giving us the grand tour of her apartment attached to her daughter's house, and the tour included her chocolate stash on top of her mini-fridge. After telling us that someone gave her the goodies for Christmas, she leaned in close like she was going to tell us a great secret. And that's when she winked and told us that she thought chocolate was very acceptable. Then she asked us if we had ever heard of M & M's. Hee hee!

This tour was the beginning of the most...unique...Easter lunch I've been to. Her daughter and son-in-law head up of the international ministry to UDel, and several times a year they invite an enormous crowd over for a holiday meal. There were probably about 50+ people at the house, and let me tell you, the learn-everyones'-names-as-fast-as-you-can game gets a little tougher when the names are Shu Ping, Gui Ja, Woo Kyung, Li De, Hitomi, and Yu Ni. Thank goodness there were name tags, although (as you can imagine) they only helped so much. It was nice of them to include us though, and we went home very full and even more tired.

As much as I miss the people in Mississippi, can I tell you how nice it is to have a real spring? It's been in the 60's to low 80's and sunny pretty much since we've been here, and all the many kinds of flowering trees that grow here are in bloom. What's that? It's 95 in Jackson? Like I said folks, you know you want to road trip. :)

2 comments:

John said...

Yes, it is like Mississippi is situated over the heating vents of Hell. We are melting. I walked outside at 8:00pm last night. It was so hot and HUMID that I couldn't sit outside! Calgon take me away!

godgivensmile said...

...heating vents of Hell. That makes me giggle.

 
design by suckmylolly.com