Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Toto, I don't think we're in kansas anymore

Yes, so the whirlwind that picked us up and plopped us in Delaware is finally starting to simmer down. We really love our new church (the people there are great!), but at the moment it's next to impossible to communicate all we're soaking in (Josh's blog does a much better job.) So I'm just going to post a few things that struck me as oh-so-not-Mississippi.

1. It snowed this morning. I know - what the heck?! When Josh stepped outside this morning to see if we needed coats, he said, "Man, it feels like it could snow outside!" Silly husband, it's April. Sure enough, in the middle of the women's meeting at church this morning, I look outside to see a blizzard of snow coming down. And everyone else there is just carrying on like this is NORMAL! Of course, I'm staring outside watching like a loony, since it's been years since I've seen snow. (Nothing stuck, but still...whoa.)

2. The Italians. And their food. South Beach Smouth Beach, I'm going on the all pizza diet, at least for a week. You know it's a good sign when you see no pizza chains anywhere...no Little Caesar's, Mazzio's, Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Domino's....nothin'. Why is that good? Because the stuff that you get around here is an entirely different creation. In every shopping center, and on almost every street corner, there are little Italian pizza/steaks/strombolis places run by the real deal. Like today - we got pizza at Tony's from a guy named Vinny who sounded like he was straight out of the Godfather. Raspy and everything. Seriously guys, this food is worth a road trip up here.

10 comments:

John said...

Sign me up for a trip. Snow and pizza and hanging out with our Lost friends sounds good to me! (Side note - What was with all of the "brain in a vat" type stuff with Hurley last night! Yikes!)

godgivensmile said...

"In every shopping center, and on almost every street corner, there are little Italian pizza/steaks/strombolis places run by the real deal."

Erin, you are slightly mistaken. Just because you don't recognize the chain, doesn't mean they aren't all run by the same 'family'. ;)

godgivensmile said...

"Seriously guys, this food is worth a road trip up here."

That would require us to know where to visit! ;)

erin said...

It's definitely helping! (ah Chernobyl's...with ranch...I can almost taste the cardboard...)


smiley - by "family," do you mean big company or mafia? ;)

godgivensmile said...

The mafia...but thanks for killing the joke by having me explain it! sheesh ;)

godgivensmile said...

Julia and I are in Richmond too!!!! :)

godgivensmile said...

Well, if you're in Norfolk, it would probably be quicker for you than me. I would either have to travel through Washington DC or drive down through Norfolk and then up the Chesepeake Bay Bridge. For you to get to DE, it would probably only take two to three hours. I am probably 3 to 4. If either one of us could ever get a specific address from them, then maybe I could be a little more specifc of drive times. ;) *nudge nudge...wink wink*

No, I did not grow up with Josh and Erin. I met Josh my Freshman year at Grove City. He later became my roommate and best friend. Thus, I obviously know Erin through that relationship.

...and sure enough, my wife's name is Julia as well!

erin said...

ok, do you guys realize you were both in our wedding? :)

you can either go straight up 95 from richmond, which takes 3 1/2 hours if you don't hit traffic.

or..you can go up 95 and get on 301 just past king's dominion. that takes you close to the maryland side of the beltway, or you can take even longer and get on 95 around baltimore. it's longer, but prettier.

we're at the top of delaware, so going up the bay bridge and delmarva peninsula would be closer to 5 hours from norfolk, but also a pretty drive.

as for the specific address.....the mafia pizza families are making us keep it a secret. mu ha ha ha

godgivensmile said...

Curse those mafia fiends!

hmm...no...I didn't realize that we've met before. Though I doubt either of our screennames help that matter much. ;)

erin said...

Oh dear, I didn't mean to embarass! :P Yes, with screennames, there's definitely no way you could have known...I just thought it was funny how paths cross in the blogosphere.

 
design by suckmylolly.com